First Creation of Champarn District : 1866 On 2nd November 1972 Champaran district was split up Into two districts, viz. Purbi Champaran and Paschim Champaran. East Champaran is a part of Tirhut Division. The headquarter of Purbi Champaran district is at Motihari .Presently Purbi Champaran consists of Six Subdivisions and Twenty Seven Blocks. Nepal makes its northern boundary, Sitamadhi and Sheohar eastern while Muzaffarpur South and with part of Gopalganj bounds it in western side. The name Champaran owes its origin to Champa-aranya or Champkatanys. Champa or Champaka means Magnolia and aranya mess forest. Hence, Champaranya means Forest of Magnolia (CHAMPA) trees. It is popularly believed that the nomenclature here was made while the vest forest part was inhabited by solitary ascetics. It is needless to say that has Purbi means Eastern Side.