Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Coronaviruses (CoV) are a large family of viruses that cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS-CoV) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-CoV).
Novel Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is a new strain that was discovered in 2019 and has not been previously identified in humans.
Coronaviruses are zoonotic, meaning they are transmitted between animals and people. Detailed investigations found that SARS-CoV was transmitted from civet cats to humans and MERS-CoV from dromedary camels to humans. Several known coronaviruses are circulating in animals that have not yet infected humans.
Common signs of infection include respiratory symptoms, fever, cough, shortness of breath and breathing difficulties. In more severe cases, infection can cause pneumonia, severe acute respiratory syndrome, kidney failure and even death.
Standard recommendations to prevent infection spread include regular hand washing, covering mouth and nose when coughing and sneezing, thoroughly cooking meat and eggs. Avoid close contact with anyone showing symptoms of respiratory illness such as coughing and sneezing.
- The Helpline Number for corona-virus : +91-11-23978046 Toll Free No: 1075
- The Helpline Numbers of Bihar States for corona-virus : 104
- The District Control room number of East Champaran : 06252-242418 / 296406 & 8544421334
- The Helpline Email ID for corona-virus : ncov2019[at]gov[dot]in
- Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Govt of India : https://www.mohfw.gov.in
- Health Department, Govt of Bihar : http://health.bih.nic.in
- World Health Organization : https://www.who.int/
- Ministry of Health and Family Welfare Twitter link : https://twitter.com/MoHFW_INDIA
- Bihar Health Dept. Twitter : https://twitter.com/BiharHealthDept/
Watch for symptoms
Reported illnesses have ranged from mild symptoms to severe illness and death for confirmed coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases.
The following symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure.*
- Shortness of breath
Protect yourself and others!
Follow these Do’s and Don’ts
- Practice frequent hand washing. Wash hands with soap and water or use alcohol based hand rub. Wash hands even if they are visibly clean.
- Cover your nose and mouth with handkerchief/tissue while sneezing and coughing
- Throw used tissues into closed bins immediately after use
- See a doctor if you feel unwell (fever, difficult breathing and cough). While visiting doctor wear a mask/cloth to cover your mouth and nose
- If you have these signs/symptoms please call State helpline number or Ministry of Health & Family Welfare’s 24X7 helpline at 011-23978046
- Avoid participating in large gatherings
- Have a close contact with anyone, if you’re experiencing cough and fever
- Touch your eyes, nose and mouth
- Spit in public
WHEN TO GET TESTED FOR COVID-19?
- You are not required to get tested for COVID-19 if you do not have any symptoms (Cough, fever or difficulty in breathing)
- If you have any of the above symptoms and have travelled to any of the COVID-19 affected countries including Italy, Iran, Republic of Korea, France, Spain, Germany, UAE etc or you are a contact of a laboratory confirmed positive case immediately call the State Helpline Number or Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India’s 24×7 helpline 011-2397 8046
- The helpline service will note down your contact details and contact you with the testing protocols of COVID-19
- If you qualify as a case for testing as per the protocol, you will be tested at a Government approved lab only.