Motihari has a number of picturesque places as well as historically important sites and Buddhist places of religious significance. Apart from numerous places of attraction within the city, there are a number of tourist spots near the city, that are not to be missed and serve as excellent weekend getaways with your family and friends.
- Buddhist Stupa: Located in Kesariya near Motihari, it is known to be the largest Buddha Stupa in the world.
- Moti Jheel: A beautiful lake in Motihari, providing picturesque views to the visitors.
- Gandhi Sangrahalaya: A leading centre of educational and cultural activities, showcasing an exotic collection of works of several great leaders, photographs and relics related to the Champaran Satyagraha.
- George Orwell Monument: The birthplace of one of the most celebrated writers of the twentieth century and the author of several famous books, George Orwell.
- Ashokan Pillar, Lauriya, Areraj: A 36 feet high pillar, bearing the edict of Emperor Ashoka and has been declared as a protected monument.
- Areraj Temple: A popular temple at Arereaj near Motihari, dedicated to Lord Shiva and draws huge crowds during the Shravani Mela.
- NREGA Park: A cool and pleasant recreation spot for people belonging to all ages.
- Champaran Satyagrah Park : The Champaran Satyagraha Shatabdi Park situated at the district headquarter town of East Champaran district.The Park has been constructed by the Urban Development and Housing department at a cost of Rs two crore to commemorate the Champaran Satyagraha.
In addition to these places, there are a number of other places like the Gayatri Mandir, Navyuvak Pustakalay, Sitakund, Urdu Library etc are places in and around Motihari that are worth visiting.