- East Champaran has a strong agricultural background.
- The pearl button Industry at Mehsi, only one of its kind in the whole of the country which had earned fame in the world.
- East Champaran has a large potential for fishery development. It has a large number of tanks and mans (lakes). An ambitious plan for fish development started in 1995 by the central Government. The world Bank financed Rs. 19 crore for fisheries development schemes in Motijheel and Kararia Jheel in Motihari town and its adjoining area to make the lakes suitable for fish production.
- Agro-based industries are prevalent in East Champaran
- Wood and wooden based industries
- Repairing and service
- Metal based industry
- Rubber, plastic and petro based
- Engineering units
- Electrical machinery and transport equipment
INDUSTRIES AT A GLANCE
- Registered industrial units : 1477
- Total industrial units : 1477
- Registered medium & large unit : –
- Estimated avg. no. of daily worker employed in small scale industries : 06
- Employment in large and medium industries : –
- No. of industrial area : 01
MAJOR INDUSTRIAL AREA
- Raxaul is the major industrial area
- Acquired land area 2.94 hactares
- No. of allotted plots 29
- No. of units in production 5
- Pearl Button Industry
- Mehsi is a small rural market adjacent to the Mehsi railway station where pearl button industry is established .
- Buttons are prepared from Oyster-Shells, commonly found in river Sikrahna by hand.
- Industry has 160 units in 13 panchayats of Mehsi Anchal, giving employment to about 10,000 skilled workers directly and 20,000 workers indirectly.
- It is estimated that there are 823 Government tanks and 161 private tanks with 9 water areas of 1920 acres.
- The yearly production of fish is estimated not less than 2500 M.T. of worth Rs. 25 crore.
- The world Bank financed 19 crore rupees for fisheries development schemes in Motijheel and Karariya Jheel in Motihari town and its adjoining area to make the lakes suitable for fish production.
|Type of industry||No. of Units||Investment (Rs. Lakh)|
|Woolen, silk & artificial Thread based clothes||4||22|
|Jute & jute based||5||46|
|Ready-made garments & embroidery||28||52|
|Wood/wooden based furniture||158||725|
|Paper & paper products||4||16|
|Rubber, plastic & petro based||42||100|
|Metal based (Steel Fab.)||102||820|
|Electrical machinery and transport equipment||86||325|
|Repairing & servicing||233||186|
Source: MSME – DI Muzaffarpur