Samudayik Shauchalaya Abhiyan
A people’s campaign to construct, maintain community toilets and promote usage for better Community Health
Sanitation and hygiene deserve the utmost priority at this critical time of COVID-19 pandemic, and it becomes essential that floating/migrant population has access to quality community toilets when they return to their villages. During SBM -G Phase II, to ensure this, Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation (DDWS) is launching a three-month-long campaign, “Samudayik Shauchalaya Abhiyaan (SSA)” from 15 June to 15 September 2020 to mobilize districts and villages to construct and maintain their community toilets.
This aims to provide sanitation access to migrants and floating population through Community Sanitary Complexes (CSCs), sustain usage, increase the sense of ownership within the village, and ensure construction and maintenance of community toilets while following all safety and hygiene protocols, to promote the community health. The campaign will be led by the State government and district administration. All new CSCs constructed during the campaign period will be mandatorily geotagged in IMIS to be considered for the competition.
By the end of the campaign, Districts will be evaluated on the following parameters.
- Number of CSCs constructed during SSA campaign period – 60% weightage
- Number of CSCs constructed during SSA campaign period in SC/ST concentrated tolas (with more than 50% of the population from the SC/ST category) -20% weightage
- Number of CSCs constructed previous to SSA campaign period – 20% weightage
Awards to be given on 2nd October 2020 in a national function –
- Top scoring 3 districts and 3 Blocks as per the criterion above
- Best 3 sarpanches as nominated by the State
- Best State
In addition to above, following special awards will also be given:
- Districts having one CSC in each village before commencement of the SSA.
- Gold Medal / Certificates to those whose CSC coverage is between 50-65% before the commencement of SSA and if they saturate their district during the SSA.
- Silver Medal / Certificates to those whose CSC coverage is between 65-85% before the commencement of SSA and if they saturate their district during the SSA.
- Bronze Medal / Certificates to those whose CSC coverage is between 65-85% before the commencement of SSA and if they saturate their district during the SSA.
State/ District IEC Campaign
District Collectors and Sarpanches/Gram Pradhans/Swachhagrahis to personally lead the campaign at their respective levels.